Old May 4th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Radio out- Would you fly?

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
The aircraft was originally certified without an electrical
system. It's usually flown with a handheld radio powered by
a battery. The battery is dead. The airport is
non-towered. The wind is nearly 90 degrees crosswind. You
haven't been able to fly in 4 weeks, and if you don't fly
today, you won't be able to get in the air for at least
another week.

Would you fly?

Not enough information. Radio out in and of itself at an uncontrolled
field wouldn't stop me, but that would depend on the field too. There can
be other NORDOs in the pattern, and the pattern could also be empty.
Assuming my MK-1 eyeball is in good shape, that's what one uses primarily.

What is the strength of the wind. 6 knots at 90 degrees in a nosewheel is
different from 20 knots at 90 degrees in a tailwagger.

Although it's been a month since my last flight, how proficient am I?
Maybe quite proficient, maybe too rusty to solo on a calm day - it depends
on experience, competence, and other things.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

Thankfully the plane also has a Mode S transponder and fish finder that is
installed and working as well as a G1000 panel! I'll fly it.

DW