Old April 29th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Default An Interview With Chuck Yeager

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

Resident aliens?

No, American citizens of German and Italian descent.

A few questions for you:

What was the percentage of interned Italians and Germans were Resident
aliens, Nationalized U.S. Citizens, and Citizens Born in the USA?

I don't know.

My father spoke with a strong German accent and he was never questioned.
His grand parents immigrated and became citizens. If they would have
come
from Japan instead of Germany we would have been interned.

If you can show me that the interned Germans and Italians had as high a
percentage of US Citizens as the Japanese, I will concede that it was not
a mater of race.

Why would that be relevant?

OK, let us change that comparison. What percentage of the Germans and
Italians interned were actual threats to the security of the war effort. If
that percentage is as low as the interned Japanese, I will concede that it
was not a mater of race.

All the west coast Japanese were interned, not just a segment of the
community. By the numbers you quoted earlier it is obvious that the
Government had a criteria for selecting specific Italians and specific
Germans for the camps. The criteria for the Japanese was simply being
Japanese.

I know the criteria for the Germans wasn't that broad, because none of my
family were interned nor was any other German family that we knew.

The paranoia and associated fear of the time is understandable; however,
after 60 years failing to recognize the injustice of our actions is
inexcusable.