Old April 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
Burt Compton

I have two L-23 Blaniks at Marfa, Texas. No cracks in the elevator rockers.
Mine were built in 1991 and 1993. Maybe the guy welding back then was an
old-timer who knew how to run a a good bead. For those who find cracks, Blanik
America will replace the part for free. Vitek can give you all the details.
All owners should have received his mailing of themandatory factory bulletin by
now. This might become an AD in the USA, I understand it is already is an AD
in Czech and Canada.

Labor was less than two hours. The test cost $70. each part. Had to drive 3
hours to El Paso for a NDT facility, but that's where our nearest Wal-mart is
located so it was not a wasted trip!

PLEASE NOTE: YOU CAN PUT THE ELEVATORS ROCKERS BACK ON THE GLIDER UPSIDE DOWN
- THEY WILL FIT BOTH WAYS! THE ELEVATOR WILL WORK, BUT NOT ENOUGH "UP" IF
INSTALLED UPSIDE DOWN. IT IS EASY TO DO, SO MAKE A NOTE: "ROUND SIDE UP".
IF YOU FLIP THE ELEVATOR / STAB OVER TO WORK ON IT, REMEMBER WHICH SIDE IS
REALLY "UP". UP IS THE TOP OF THE GLIDER. YOU CANNOT MARK THE PART AS YOU
MUST STRIP AND CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY BEFORE THE MAGNAFLUX TESTING.

SORRY TO YELL IN ALL CAPS HERE, BUT THIS POSSIBILITY OF INSTALLING THE PART
UPSIDE DOWN IS VERY REAL. ASK ME SOMEDAY HOW I KNOW.

REMEMBER: "ROUND SIDE UP" - YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN WHEN YOU REMOVE THE PART.