Old May 5th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

With a panel mount IFR GPS, you can easily fail to do a traffic watch or
perhaps properly control the airplane when not using an autopilot.

Why would a panel mount GPS make much difference, compared to a hand
held, or VOR/airways vector?

I was referring to IFR operations with IFR equipment. A panel mount is
much more difficult to operate than a FMS/LNAV platform.

Okay, that makes sense (for someone not well versed in the GPS's operation).

"VOR/Airways vector?" I am not sure I understand your question. Is it
one question or two?

Two (either/or)

Setting up a VOR airway is a much simpler task than programing an airway
on a non-airway-database panel mount. Once everything is set up and
underway there is little difference in the task of VOR or panel-mount GPS
navigation. But, everytime something significant has to be changed, it
requires more concentration and cross-check to program the panel mount
than a VOR set.

Vectors are vectors.

Sam, you're one of the most knowledgable people in here, but your
communications (writing) leaves much to be desired by those of us that don't
read minds (intentions, contexts).

How have I failed to communicate?