Old August 30th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 3:55:29 PM UTC+1, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
JPG, Can you let us know what fuel cocktail you are using for the M+D turbine in your JS1?

From your post I am assuming Shell V Power Nitro diesel but what are you using for additive and in what ratio? How is the fuel stored and is there a shelf life that you have seen?

Hi John, I sold that glider last December by which time I had 135 starts on the engine - the great majority of which were air or ground tests.

My successful mixture was the Shell V Power Nitro+ diesel with 2% oil (for me 200mls added to 10 litres of fuel)- either Castrol Power 1 racing 2 stroke oil or Aeroshell 560 turbine oil. It is 2% for diesel or 4% for Jet A1.

I never thought about the shelf life of fuel as I never had any lying for long with the jet.

A bigger issue is microbial overgrowth in the diesel (or jet) fuel and I knew that some fuel filters had been found to be getting gummed up with gooey stuff. I usually added 1ml/10litres of Biobor JF aviation jet fuel antimicrobial additive and my filters were always pristine. I didn't have any approval for that because I didn't ask for it.

John Galloway