Old April 2nd 04, 11:43 PM
Paul F Austin

"Harry Andreas"wrote
John Cook wrote:

Now the Raptor can't run the software to do its air to ground mission
for the same reasons what would you call it?. "processor
challenged???"

I'd say, take a hard look at the above assertation and explain how it
can be true, given that other AESA radars, in service, and with smaller
avionics processors, don't seem to be having these problems.

BTW, I worked on AFT, F-22, and several other current AESA programs,
including airborne processors, and integrated avionics systems.

There was also a kerfuffle about ASM. Any Assembler is likely direct
hardware interface codes.

As far as air to ground missions and portability is concerned, read on. To
my certain knowledge (we write this stuff for various platforms), SAR and
GMTI as examples of compute intensive codes are "written" by translating
MATLAB algorithms into C and compiling them for whatever engine you happen
to be using this week. Portability is a non-issue. And ever since the "Perry
Initiative" memo came out (in 1993), C or any other ANSI language is
perfectly OK for military systems.