Old January 11th 04, 01:58 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Hankal) wrote:

When I file my IFR flight plan I put into remarks NO STARS NO SIP

Why do you do this?

The AIM (section 5-2-6-e-8) says:

"ATC must be immediately advised if the pilot does not possess the
assigned SID, or the aircraft is not capable of flying the SID.
Notification may be accomplished by filing "NO SID" in the remarks
section of the filed flight plan"

Given that SIDs are published in both the NOS and Jepp books, it's hard
to believe you would not posses them. I can see the aircraft being
incapable of flying some particular SID (not having the right nav
equipment or sufficient climb performance), but it sounds like you just
blanket turn down all SID assignments. This I don't understand.

I once did have to turn down a SID because I couldn't fly it. Leaving
Miami for Key West in a 172, I got some SID that looked like it required
DME, which I didn't have, so I told the controller. He hemmed and hawed
for a while, and eventually came back with, "I tell ya' what, ammend
your clearance, you are cleared to Key West via radar vectors direct,
enjoy your flight". That's about 400 miles worth of radar vectors. I
then told him that I wanted to follow the island chain down to avoid the
long overwater. He said, "Yeah, no problem, just do what you need to
and let us know where you're going" or something like that.

They don't do clearances like that in the northeast :-)