Old January 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:12:51 GMT, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

It seems that there are some remarkable deals out there for 200 mph used
Glasairs, but I would hesitate to buy one simply because I wouldn't trust
the workmanship.

What's the consensus on this issue? Is this a valid fear, or -- as some
have told me -- does the workmanship on the average home-built meet or
exceed that of the average Spam Can?

It's certainly something to consider. Completed composite structures are
difficult to inspect. But if you have someone familiar with them inspect the
homebuilt in question, he or she can probably see enough clues in the visible
areas to be able to conclude whether the hidden areas are done right. One
factor in favor is that homebuilts are usually designed with plenty of margin.

The concern is probably worse with a new airplane...if you're dickering on a
used one with a thousand hours or so, if it's still sticking together, odds are
it was done right.

If you are looking at a non-composite homebuilt, the process is a bit easier.
It's no tougher inspecting an RV-6 than it is a Cessna.

Ron Wanttaja