Old November 29th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Who has priority on a taxiway?

Vaughn Simon wrote:
OK, perhaps I had my head up my... errr, you know. Perhaps the
other guy could have made a better radio call. Anyhow...

I landed at a very quiet uncontrolled field a few weeks ago. As I
taxied back on the taxiway for my departure, I kept hearing a
helicopter calling out pattern legs for a place called "tango". As I
recall, he never mentioned the name of the field, or used the word
"taxiway" in his radio call, so I assumed that he was just practicing
at some nearby pad. (My error, when in doubt...) It wasn't until I
had taken off that I realized that I had been using taxiway T. I
probably seriously ****ed the guy off, and/or risked having a
helicopter land on top of me.
Lesson learned!

So now the question. Who has priority on a taxiway? Surface
traffic or landing traffic?

Vaughn

You shouldn't feel you ****ed him off you in a stuck-wing have the
right-of-way over the helicopter just about everywhere.