Old May 16th 05, 10:47 AM
Frode Berg

Default Hard landing in a retractable

Hi!

I had a rather embarrassing hard landing yesterday in a cross wind.
Been years since that happened, most touchdowns have beed silk smooth (sort
of) lately, but yesterday, I somehow managed to flare too high, resulting in
a hard landing, as I also failed to apply corrective throttle to arrest the
inevitable sink rate....
So, the plane settled with a loud squeak on the mains, and came rather
quickly down on the nosewheel....
A slight bounce also occured....not a pretty landing obviously...

Anyway, I am writing this to ask if theres anything in particular that I
should look for as warnings that something might have been damaged with the
landing gear.
The plan is a '68 Arrow, and as far as I could see it looked fine parked.
I notice the nosewheel strut was a bit lower than normal (probably from the
abrupt lowering on touchdown) but I lifted it up manually, and it stayed the
way it normally is.

So, what should I check for in the main and nose landing gear after a non
greaser like this?

Thanks, and pleas no "you should have done this or that" as I already know
most of what I did wrong...:-)

Blushing regards,

Frode