Old March 1st 04, 07:30 AM
Michael Petukhov

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

You must be joking Keith or you just do nit actualy read what you post?

1) Ribentrop could write whatever he wanted to his
ambassador in Moscow. USSR goverment certainly has no
resposibilites for what was suggested by Germany.

It does however for agreeing to the secret protocol to
the non aggression pact which made it possible

Secret protol says "if... soviet sphere of interest will be..."
Where does it say accupation or something equal?

2) The letter actually support my view that until Polish
goverment cowardly escaped to Rumania and left its army
and people in grave danger, USSR goverment had no intentions
to attack Poland and gave no promises of that to Germany
"...in case a Russian intervention did not take place...
a political vacuum might not occur.."

The meaning of the letter is that Ribbentrop asking
Moscow for a favor saying it would be in common interests.
Clearly Stalin was not that sure about that even on
Sept 15. The situation changed on Sept 17 when Polish
so to speak "goverment" voluntarily seased to exist and
escaped to Rumania. What he could do but to accupy the territories
to prevent power vacuum. What you would do in his place?

The perhaps you can explain the message of the 3rd of September

The same, Ribentrop could write whatever he wanted to his
ambassador in Moscow. USSR goverment certainly has no
resposibilites for what was suggested by Germany.

Michael

Telegram

No. 253 of September 3
BERLIN, September 3, 1939-6:50 p. m.
Received MOSCOW September 4, 1939-12:30 a. m.

Very Urgent! Exclusively for Ambassador.
Strictly secret! For Chief of Mission or his representative personally.
Top secret. To be decoded by himself. Strictest secrecy!

We definitely expect to have beaten the Polish Army decisively in a few
weeks. We would then keep the area that was established as German sphere of
interest at Moscow under military occupation. We would naturally, however,
for military reasons, also have to proceed further against such Polish
military forces as are at that time located in the Polish area belonging to
the Russian sphere of interest.

Please discuss this at once with Molotov and see if the Soviet Union does
not consider it desirable for Russian forces to move at the proper time
against Polish forces in the Russian sphere of interest and, for their part,
to occupy this territory. In our estimation this would be not only a relief
for us, but also, in the sense of the Moscow agreements, in the Soviet
interest as well.

In this connection please determine whether we may discuss this matter with
the officers who have just arrived here and what the Soviet Government
intends their position to be.
RIBBENTROP

Keith