Old June 7th 05, 08:28 AM
Chris

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Icarus Is Flying" wrote:

Greetings to all.

I have run into a discussion whose answer is not clear. The question,
especially since 9/11, and its variant is:

Can passengers on commercial flights visit the cockpit (with captain's
permission, of course!)?

Only on the ground, when the cockpit door is open.

Essentially, is it the FAA or IATA that makes that determination or is it
air carrier policy?

It is FAA. It used to be that some foreign airlines would allow limited
cockpit visits on international flights, but I don't know if that is
still so. I remember fondly a flight on Air France from SFO to Chas.
DeGaulle and visiting the cockpit from Iceland to England.

Its the national aviation authorities that make the rules, FAA, CAA, CASA
etc but I believe they have all agreed that cockpit visits are now out of
bounds to anyone.

In the past I have had many trips up front but since 9/11 that's all
stopped.