Thread: Diana 2 FES
View Single Post
Old October 21st 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

Default Diana 2 FES

There's no clear answer man. does a millionare who only drives in the city need a lambo? no. but he buys one anyway. not that kevin is a millionare... and not that a diana is the lambo of gliders... my point is, suppose the guy wants a diana and isn't a hardcore racer. suppose he also wants the flexibility of having a engine. he's only asking a hypothetical question...holy smokes i'm defending kevin X'D

anyway, you have to ask if a pilot's attitude changes when he has an engine.. People with engines tend to push and take more risks, and guess what? they don't land out all the time. that suggests that the majority of us are too conservative in our soaring techniques. tilo has also said the drag penalty of the FES is minimal. i think that taking a glider with a performance edge and adding an FES would be a tough one to beat. cant wait to see a V3 with one.

-Andy

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 2:16:49 AM UTC-4, Per Carlin wrote:
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 3:12:01 PM UTC+2, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Per Carlin wrote on 10/18/2016 11:15 PM:
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 12:46:41 AM UTC+2, Kevin Christner wrote:
Does anyone else think this would be an unbelievable combination?

Why spoil Dianas performace advantage with and FES?

Performance advantage over what? There are many higher performance
gliders than the Diana! ;^)

The Diana2 is solely built for high performance in competitions and they succeeded, for a period was it dominating the 15m class and still should if there were more of them in flying condition.
If you build a best in class glider for competition, why destroy the advantage by putting a drag inducing propeller in the nose? If you need a FES, go for a LAK 17, LAK19 of Discus2 or one of all those new UL. If you need best performance in the 15m class go for a Diana2, but don’t combine them.