Old October 7th 13, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default glider battery duration problems

Eric, I have absolute faith in my ram air parachute. Having said that, I
don't relish the idea of bailing out of a flaming glider!

Since I have no direct knowledge of these new-fangled batteries, I will
listen only to the manufacturer when designing my system. When and if I get
it done, I'll post the design.

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Morgans wrote, On 10/6/2013 8:15 PM:

"Dan Marotta" wrote

Then I read the spec sheet and found that the manufacturer does not
recommend parallel (or series) connections. I've sent them a message
including the dimensions of my battery compartments and asking for
suggestions.

If you talk to the other people (like RC) guys, discharge is not the
problem, but it is in the charging. If you were to put two packs in
parallel, provide a Y plug so that you can charge each isolated from the
other.

It's OK to talk to the RC guys, but PLEASE follow the battery
manufacturer's recommendations instead of the RC guys. The RC guys are
using different chemistries, typically discharge rapidly (15-20 minutes),
recharge rapidly, use special chargers, and do not use a BMS (battery
management system).

In addition, some of the things you know about SLA batteries can cause you
trouble when applied to Lithium batteries. Don't guess - look at the
instructions and data sheets, and talk to the manufacturer. Even the
people selling them might not be knowledgeable enough, because this is new
territory for us.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)