Old February 22nd 05, 02:43 AM
Nathan Young

On 21 Feb 2005 16:49:18 -0800, "Doug"
wrote:

If it were me, I'd fly east to the lake and then fly VFR along the
shoreline of Lake Michigan below Chicago's class B airspace. You'd get
a great view of Chicago skyline and could stay within gliding distance
of shore, I believe (never actually have done it, but I'd like to).

Yes, you can stay within gliding distance. ORD B is 3000ft MSL
(roughly 1/2 mile AGL) for most of the lakeshore, so you can certainly
glide a few miles.

Crossing Lake Michigan in a single engine landplane, generally if you
have to ask, don't do it. If everything goes ok, all you will be is
nervous. If you engine quits, you will be in the lake, though I suppose
in July you have a chance, there will be all those boats.

I have crossed in a twin (summer) and thought the boat traffic was
sparse, especially in the middle, which is where you would need it.

-Nathan