Old July 23rd 03, 08:27 PM
Randy Wentzel

I'm 10 miles N of the field and the tower calls for a straight-in on
runway 20.

What's the best way intercept the runway centerline?

Vaguely aiming for a point on the extended CL always seems too, well,

vague...

Should I turn on base way out here and then a right turn onto the

centerline?

fly a 45 degree angle (heading 155) to the CL?

something else?

Thanks,
HankC

Hi Hank,

Intercepting final on a 45 is quick enough in most cases. I wouldn't turn a
formal base turn, but would rather just align myself with the center line
"quickly." It's a matter of reporting your position to other aircraft and
having a controlled approach from the get go. It's much easier to report to
other aircraft in the area that you are on a seven or eight mile final than
trying to report that you are somewhere else.

Hope that helps a little,

--
Randy