Old February 9th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Closing IFR flight plan at uncontrolled field

Another situation is while you are waiting to depart on IFR
clearance and being held for approach / landing traffic. Last
summer when I called ready to depart at Destin, FL, approach
told me to hold for release becuse of landing IFR traffic on an approach
to the airport. He called me back in a minute and gave me an update,
"Lear on approach now 2 miles striaght-in runway xxx". I advised I
had the traffic in sight and the controller asked me to report when
the Lear's wheels touched the runway. I did and he immediately released
me, even before the Lear turned off the runway.

Ronnie

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

If possible, you can also have an overflying a/c relay a cancellation to
ATC.

Have you actually done that? It's my understanding that ATC won't accept
an IFR cancellation via an aircraft relay.

I did this just a few weeks ago, as I was next in line for the approach,
the aircraft on the ground was unable to raise ATC on the radio, and I
relayed the cancellation and was immediately cleared for the approach.

Well, "immediately" is relative. There was a sort of three-way handshake
to verify the cancellation.

Something like:
Me: ATC, Nxxx is trying to call you to cancel IFR.
ATC: Verify you're relaying for Nxxx trying to cancel IFR.
Me: yes
ATC: Please call Nxxx and ask them to verify cancelling IFR.
Me. Nxxx, please verify for ATC that you wish to cancel IFR.
Nxxx: Affirmative cancelling IFR.
Me. ATC, Nxxx confirms cancelling IFR.
ATC: Advise Nxxx cancellation received.
Me; Nxxx, ATC advises cancellation received.
Nxxx: Thank you.
ATC: Nyyy cleared RNAV rwy 21 approach...