Old November 14th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.marketplace
Robert Chambers

Default No more 100LL

A nice thing about the diesels is that the majority of diesel engines in
service these days are turbo. If Thielert is sharp about this they will
offer a decent turbo option which will give you sea level performance
all the way up. If they can do it in a relatively small package they
could give turbo-normalization to the masses.

We could call you Double D after the conversion.. Roger in his Diesel Deb.

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:20:12 GMT, Robert Chambers
wrote:

No you're not a troll but the original poster dropped that little gem in
the newsgroup not to forment discussion (which isn't really the use of
the marketplace newsgroup anyway) but to see the shock value.

I'd love to see the Thielerts make it big and replace some of the
finicky 180hp lycoming. No mags? bonus!, lower fuel consumption?
bonus!, runs on Jet-A which is available almost anywhere? bonus!

Where we really need those diesel engines is in the 260 to 360 HP
range where there really isn't a viable alternative to 100LL. The 180s
will run on car gas...if it isn't full of alcohol. Otherwise we'll
have to find alcohol free car gas and add lead substitutes (mix our
own brew) Depending on the weather I run 24 X 24 or even 25" over
2400 RPM to get 75%. Making the engine accept the much lower octane
car gas without the lubrication from the lead would result in
operational parameters that would certainly eliminate the short field
take off, and climb to altitude for IFR.

I'd even offer the Deb as a test bed for something in the 260 to 300
HP range (and I mean that sincerely) as long as I get to fly it. I'd
dearly love to add some new life to the old gal.

I think it'd be fitting for the oldest of its kind serve to test the
newest engines.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com