Old January 17th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.ifr, rec.aviation.student

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

On Jan 17, 2:25 pm, "Barry" wrote:
90-100 knots to land? In a Cherokee?

No, I guess I was unclear. 90-100 knots on approach until I'm visual, then
slow to 65 or so while extending full flaps (or maybe only 2 notches if it's
very windy). The point I was trying to make is that unless you want to fly
the entire approach at 65 knots and full flaps, you have to slow down and
configure somewhere inside the FAF, and I prefer to do it while visual on
short final, not while still in the clouds.

1.3 x Vs1 fpr landing works every time, all the time. Add whatever for
gusts and you don't have to change techniques, IFR or VFR.

But you do have to change technique from VFR to IFR, because VFR you'd
probably not be at 90 or 100 knots on base and after turning final. If the
weather is near minimums, it's only the very last part of short final that
will be the same.

Thanks for the clarification. Airplanes such as the Cherokee and C172
will slow down drastically in plenty of time. More slippery airplanes
such as the Bonanza will not.

Dan