Old September 9th 04, 04:07 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 00:24:27 -0500, "Bob Coe" wrote:

"Krztalizer" wrote

Most generalizations don't stand up. OK, name five fighter pilots that
you "know" who wouldn't fly any airplane that was full of free gas.

Here's one. I haven't flown a day since I left the AF. While flying an
airplane is undeniably fun, just flying an airplane isn't the same as
flying operationally. I'll often tell folks who ask why I didn't fly
with the airlines if they would ask Mario Andretti why he didn't go to
work for Greyhound after he left F1/IRC racing.

I mentioned Diz - the other name that pops up right off the bat is Robin Olds,
who used to tell his backseater to "shut up and hold on".

Do you know Robin? I'm afraid that I can't picture the Robin Olds I
know saying that unless it was a necessary warning when something
unusual was about to occur. Robin is the consummate professional in
fighter aviation and knew (and knows) that the F-4 is a two-person
airplane and both parties have a critical role to perform.

Although I've heard many times about single-seat drivers telling the
WSO to go cold mike, I've never known a single one who did so. It's
urban legend.

I met him. When he left my wife asked "who was that asshole?" and I
said "he's a fighter pilot, need I say more?"

Your wife may have been going through an emotional crisis, or maybe
she hasn't met many warriors. Lesser men will often say the same thing
after an encounter with Robin.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"