Old July 9th 03, 05:51 AM
Ryan Ferguson

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

Just a follow-up: to Lightspeed's credit, having called
them after 4 pm yesterday, I already have the replacement
headset in hand before 10 am today.

So they definately try to make good when there's a problem.

I just wish they built a headset with fewer problems!!!!

So do I. Their commitment to making good is impressive. Every time my
old Lightspeeds were sent in for repair, they came back with amazing
speed. Unfortunately, the quality control is simply not there.

There are customers out there who have no problems with Lightspeed
products. I have no doubt about that. There are also many who seem to
have nothing but problems. Lightspeed's 15, 20, and 25 series is the
only line of headsets I've ever seen removed from the stock of one of
the largest pilot shops in the United States. I know the explicit
reason for this because said pilot shop is in my home FBO, and I know
the pilot shop manager. Reason for removal: too many returns. The shop
has (had?) a commendable policy of handling the shipping costs on any
defective units sold via their shop. Whenever I had a problem, I'd stop
in and drop off the headset and say "Bernie, send 'em in again." I
personally utilized this service approximately 8 times on two separate
Lightspeed 25XL headsets before the shop offered to take them back
permanently and apply the new purchase price towards two pair of Bose
Xs. I accepted their offer and have been extremely happy with the Bose
X for the last two years. One pair went back one time for the sheepskin
headband coming loose, and... that was it. Bose repaired the headset
free, as expected. (BTW, yes, the Bose X are good enough to be worthy
of the 4-digit price tag. I would *never* have bought them under
different circumstances, but it's clear to me now that they are indeed
worth it!)

I can see the perspective of happy Lightspeed customers who appear to
have essentially lucked out with a good pair. I say, good for them, and
they have no reason to do anything differently. When the product
doesn't break, it's damn good. The price is right, it's comfortable,
and the ANR is good enough for the money. But I think we have to be
realistic and recognize that Lightspeed does have a problem on their
hands here. You just don't hear these complaints about other headsets
in this (and in many cases, below!) price range. For these issues to
come up consistently, there has to be a problem. It's not isolated to a
few bad headsets.

-Ryan
CFI-ASE-AME, CFI-RH, CP-ASMEL-IA, CP-RH, AGI