Old May 9th 04, 06:28 AM
Brad Z

Blackstone is weird in that the tower is operational only by notam.
Although, I flew in IFR for a practice approach once and Washington Center
approved a freq change...since there was no notam I made a position report
on CTAF (diff freq from tower) and got a "cleared to land" from somebody.
Caught me off guard, since the tower is almost never open. Since then, I
have gone back to my old approach of trying the tower frequency first. To
answer your question, if the CT is active, treat it like Class D.

"Jeff Saylor" wrote in message
Allen C Perkinson Airport/Blackstone Army Airfield (KBKT) in
Virgina has a control tower, at least part of the time. It also
has class G airspace to 700 ft AGL.

What are the procedures for operating at a tower in uncontrolled
airspace? When are you obligated to communicate with the tower,
other than touching the runways? I don't recall this being
discussed much during flight training way back when.

How common is it to have a tower (other than a special temporary
tower, e.g. the one during EAA Oshkosh or AOPA fly-in.) without
at least Class D airspace?