Old December 24th 03, 08:30 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Okay, got it! After looking around, it seems to be more of a volume
thing between the US and Russia. Plus, using a few B53's, let alone the
whole stockpile, will make quite a mess. I have my perspective. Still,
if the US hadn't done what it had to do in history past, then there
would probably be no forum where those that could disagree would be able
to disagree. I'd rather have that than any other bleak alternative.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

" but when we're talking about a strategy capable of wiping
out the entire human race, this villager refuses to concede any moral
authority to the pro-atomic position."

Question: Wouldn't it take an awful lot of A bombs to accomplish
wiping out the human race?? Then with the A bomb or now with the
current nuclear weaponry?? What percentage of Japan land and / or
humans did the bombing in the two cities wipe out compared to the
total land mass and / or population? I did a Yahoo search and the two
cities seem to still be there and thriving , hotels and all. So the
physical land seems to be still there. I know the Japanese weren't
completely wiped out back then but could it be done today? Do we
really have that kind of arsenal? I mean a country that size
literally wiped clean?? Is it necessary with the current accuracy of
what we do have, nuclear or conventional? Why develop the daisy
cutter or that other huge bomb they recently tested in Florida?? ( I
forget it's name at the moment. ) I guess it would be a question of
volume of bombs as compared to the power of a single bomb.

Those against using the A bomb make it sound like a single nuclear
bomb dropped today would literally disintegrate half of the world. Or
are they more concerned that a nuclear bomb would kill life when
coupled with winds blowing radioactive death along with a bunch of
other ripe conditions to carry the effects of the bomb beyond it's
minimal effectiveness?

Growing up I learned in school that a single bomb could destroy the
whole world. Bad, bad, bad. Reading these current threads, I have
seen that one didn't do it. A second one made Japan surrender, but
the country is still there along with the rest of the world, so the
second one didn't do it. The effects seem relatively localized.