Old July 26th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_2_]

Default Ratcheting tie-downs vs come-alongs?

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I'm trying to use a ratcheting tie-down as a comealong to move an
aircompressor to a trailer.

I'm finding that as the webbing builds up on the ratcheting barrel, it
will eventually interfer with the prawling mechanism. This limits the
distance the tie-down can pull to about 3 feet. Useless.

I've taken up as much excess as I can at the load end, but the barrel
still fills too quickly.

Any suggestions or am I using the wrong tool for the job? - MIke

'Wrong' tool, but:

If it's all you've got, you can probably find a way. If you have at
least 2 tie-downs, max out the 1st as you have already done, hook up the
2nd one, tighten & remove the 1st. Max out the 2nd, re-set & hook up
the 1st; repeat as needed.

Charlie