Old April 22nd 04, 11:39 PM
Bill Zaleski

It is an industry standard best practice and can be found in most of
the military and civilian documentaion. The word "thoroughly" as per
the FAR's implies just that, and is not necessarilly an interval
specifically specified by the manufacturer. I have known and worked
with Ted Strong for over 20 years. He will tell you 8 hours minimum.
Opening (fill) time of the canopy varies with moisture content of the
fabric.

On 22 Apr 2004 07:01:16 -0700, (Andy Durbin)
wrote:

Bill Zaleski wrote in message . ..
Yes, ask him how he is going to comply with the regulation:

No certificated parachute rigger may pack a parachute that has not
been thoroughly dried and aired.

Normal manufacturer's instructions call for an 8 hour airing.

Perhaps he is airing it in advance? Hope so.

Bill Z. Master Rigger

I have had my chutes packed without 8 hour airing. I looked through
the manuals for my Strong 303 and my Security 350. Although both
manuals contain detailed packing instructions, I found no reference to
a required airing period. If an 8 hour airing is required where would
it be specified?

Andy