Old August 31st 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Default Reno Newspaper Defends Reporting on Glider Accident

wrote:
With all do respect: internet was not invented by the US military. Not
even close. Internet was developed by Englishman named Tim Berners-Lee,
who I believe lives in London. He was even knighted by the Queen so, he
is Sir Tim Berners-Lee. But this guy Mal is insinuating that the US
military "released" the internet and if you buy to his story I don't
know what to think of it. He is using every time he can, something
against us. Every time. Don't take my word for it. Just look at his
you can read his uneducated, arrogant postings referring in derogatory
terms to the US. So, in conclusion his referral to the US military as
to " The greatest weapon USA military ever released to the world the
Internet." is aimed that us again and it is a cheap shot.

Uh, don't confuse the "World Wide Web" (i.e. web browsers and servers)
with the "Internet". The Internet (along with email, and Usenet, on
which we were having this discussion) existed long before there was any
such thing as web browsers. And, you are completely wrong another
thing, the Internet had as its founding core ARPAnet (ARPA being the US
Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is now
known as DARPA) a US military project started in the late 60s. I
developed networking and communications equipment for ARPAnet during the
mid 70s, and I can assure you, I spent an awful lot of time at military
bases and DOD contractor sites, as well as universities...

Marc