Old November 6th 19, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Gliding risk....

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 11:56:36 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Going forward I am going to try to keep track of how many holes left ahead of me in my Swiss cheese and not get too close to the last hole.

My $0.02: I think that is /exactly/ the way that experienced guys like Bruce get into trouble. What's missing from that article: a determination to have a specific landing option that one can glide to, /especially/ in tiger country. This is basic XC stuff. Risk management means breaking the chain of events that lead to an accident or scary situation early. You accept the cost of a slow climb, detour (for weather, landability, etc.) and get on with your day.

Accidents and bad scares we've had in my club have been 80% due to inadequate XC risk management. Most of that 80% consists of lower experience guys misunderstanding how the more experienced guys do this (i.e. with discipline).

T8