Old October 11th 04, 08:25 PM
John Bishop

"SHAWN DOYLE" wrote in message
k...
Hello!

I've got an expensive opportunity on the go. My electrical generation
system failed in the Pitts a couple of weeks ago. Had to get jump started
at Le Touquet to come back across the Channel, then again at Lydd to get
home. Not fun, I can tell you, but folks were immensely helpful at both
locations.

Having no luck troubleshooting the problem myself, I took off the
alternator, voltage regulator, and overvoltage controller and sent them

for
testing. After putting out the fire my overvoltage sensor started on his
test rig, he was able to confirm that all three components either were

junk
or nearly so. So, here's my opportunity. I can replace the existing
components like-for-like for around £560. OR I can install the simpler,
engine-gear-driven BNC lightweight alternator.

My question is, does anyone out there have experience with the BNC
alternator and also if anyone has any experience doing the conversion and
installation. I don't have much in the way of mechanical skills other

than
being able to bolt stuff on and take stuff off.

Comments?

Cheers,
Shawn
Pitts S-1D, G-BKVP

Know how you feel, my Warrior's alternator failed mid channel on the way to
Le Touquet a few years ago. Easter Friday and no mechanics! They very
helpfully got a battery and jump leads, got me started, and I nursed it back
home on minimal electrical power.

John