Old November 18th 04, 04:16 AM
Icebound

"Peter R." wrote in message
Icebound ) wrote:

There is one little piece of outdated information on their "flight
planning"
page.

If you need/want to talk to an FSS, it is no longer at
Toronto/Buttonville
as shown on that page... it is now at London; you would call "London
Radio".
The same FSS frequencies should still work. The 126.7 is the
"in-the-air"
frequency, so the "above 3000" qualifier may be valid, but the 123.15 is
supposed to work when you are on the ground at the airport.

And those Buttonville phone numbers are useless, also.

To reach FSS by phone, just call 1-866-WX BRIEF

So, do I understand the information on that page correctly that to
activate my IFR flight plan, I would have to call FSS rather than speak
to the ground controller?

Or does the following quote refer to VFR flight plans?

"Pilots are requested to open & close flight plans with
Toronto/Buttonville FSS on 126.7 or 123.15 above 3000 AGL or by phone."

It refers to VFR plans for sure, but it could be that they request closing
through FSS after landing as being more convenient for everyone all around
(see my previous post about 123.15).

In the google archives, there are a lot of posters who claim Canadian ATC
will open/close IFR plans at towered airports. You could just put in the
"close" request to the ground controller and the worst that will happen is
he will direct you to the FSS.

In case it wasn't clear, by the way, that FSS "WX BRIEF" number is for
filing FP, as well as weather info.