Old January 29th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

Default Twice as fast for less gas

On Jan 29, 11:15*am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, Phil J posted:

http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/20...y_turbines.php

Very interesting article, and given Gerry Merrill's credentials, quite
plausible. Unfortunately, it isn't surprising that he has repeatedly run
into the wall presented by a market too small to support such a project.
The notion seems to be, "If we build it... they still won't come."
Remember the BD-5?

Neil

Yeah, it's an interesting concept. I suspect the dollar amounts he
mentions are way optimistic though. I don't think his engine would be
any cheaper than a turbine engine like the PT6A. Lancair has a 4-
place kit powered by a PT6A, and they estimate the total cost at
$750,000 to $1,000,000. And that is for a kit. Still, the VLJs have
proven there is a market for small jets. Maybe there is a market for
even smaller jets.

Phil