Old March 3rd 04, 04:18 AM
Boomer

The Russians developed a "round" TV nozzle for thier Flankers as have the
Indians, so it is at LEAST a possibility for the future.
I believe the nozzles on the F-22 and F-35 are too far to the rear to make
any real differance in T/O distance or landing roll, but the massive thrust
may get them to speed more quickly.

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Scott Ferrin wrote:

Nope. The X-32 would have but not the 35. My guess is they could
have but maybe Lockhhed didn't want it competing with the F-22.

Or they didn't want to pay the weight penalty in an aircraft designed for
strike over air-to-air.

I recently suggested that if the F/A-22 were canceled, the Air Force might
look at an air-to-air version of JSF. An axi-symetrical thrust vectoring
nozzle would be high on the list of desirable modifications for such an
aircraft, I suspect.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)