Old March 30th 04, 03:00 PM
Gary Evans

Way to go Kemp!! Would you call me the next time it
looks that good?

At 04:18 30 March 2004, Steve Pawling wrote:
Fantastic flight Kempton! Too bad you didn't take off
in CA. Remember
to also submit your claim to Doug Donohue the NV record
keeper.

So, while you were soaring the wave, I was looking
at it out of my
office window, unable to take the day off because I
had just returned
from vacation. Where's the wave on the weekend when
you need it!

All the best,
Steve
CA record keeper

(Kizuno) wrote in message news:...
Last Thursday, March 25, the Sierra wave was in prime
form. I took off from
the Minden, Nevada airport at 6:46am in my ASH-26E
and flew a Free 3 TP task
landing at California City at 5:03pm for an estimated
distance of 1,633 km.
This flight was similar to my SOARING magazine article
of last year except this
year I started earlier and was able to extend all
legs. The first turn was at
Frenchman's Lake (north of Reno), the second turn
was near Dunmovin (just North
of Inyokern) and the last turn was near Herlong.
The record claim will be for
the US National Motorglider 3 TP distance.

From my limited experience with the Sierra wave, that
Thursday was one of the
best, well marked days I'd seen.* The winds at altitude
were modest (35 to 65
knots). There was some difficulty at the start as
the wave was not marked in
the valley on launch, but showed up soon thereafter.
From then on, lennies or
rotor clouds were present most of the way, so there
were few slow spots. Even
the north bound transition from Bishop to Mono Lake
was done at top speed.
Like most US wave cross country flight, I operated
with an 18,000 ft. ceiling.
The best part is just the experience of zooming along
for hours at 110knots
indicated with the incredible cloudscapes and Sierras
in view.* Magnificent.

The flight trace will be public soon along with a
full write up and lots of
pictures.

Kemp
9J