Old June 30th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc

Default IFR logging question - is this legal?

Peter wrote:
Hi All,

This is for an N-reg aircraft.

Aircraft: a standard piston single.

P1 seat: a pilot legal to be PIC under VFR.

P2 seat: a pilot legal to be PIC under IFR (but no CFI/CFII rating).

No money changes hands.

Irrelevant to logging time

Let's say one does an IFR flight.

Obviously the one in the P2 seat has to be PIC, to keep it legal.

Can the P1 pilot log anything at all and, if so, what can he log?

I presume P1 is sole manipulator of the controls

Now, is the situation any different if the aircraft is owned by the P2
person and rented to the P1 person?

I know about the 100-hr check stuff; 91.409: "...no person may operate
an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire,
and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft
which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of
time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour
inspection...

Irrelevant to logging time

and this suggests that a 100hr check is NOT required (nobody being
carried for hire, and nobody doing instructing).

correct

Thank you for any comments.

Can the P1 also log it? I'd hope so!

Only if P1 is sole manipulator of the controls, rated for the category
and class of airplane, and using a view limiting device (91.109) that
would require a second crew member. That second crew member of course
would need to act as PIC. Without a view limiting device, two pilots
are not necessary. P1 would be acting as an organic autopilot. The
regs make no distinction between VMC versus IMC or IFR versus VFR for
the purposes of logging time.