Old December 5th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Renter's Insurance?

A pilot buddy who works for a law firm has rattled my cage over renter's
insurance and liability.

Do you renters feel the need to pick up supplemental insurance? If so who
did you use and how much did it cost you?

Here's his comments:

You should talk to me about FBO insurance too. Unless your FBO is
different than every other FBO I've ever been into, their insurance
provides them (and/or the aircraft owner if it is leased to the FBO) with
hull coverage and liability insurance. In the event of damage to the
aircraft, of harm to a person (but maybe not you), the insurance will pay
to repair the aircraft and defend and pay and lawsuits that arise out of
the event. However, when all is said and done, to the extent that the
incident is your fault (most are), the insurance company will have the
right to sue you to recover all the amounts they paid to 'clean up your
mess'. If you are renting from an FBO, getting a renter's policy
(sometimes called a non-owned aircraft policy) is a good idea. I've never
figured out how the 'hull' portion of those polcies work - if you were
flying a $100K aircraft, you wouldn't want to have to maintain $100K of
hull coverage on top of the liability coverage.

--
Dallas