Old April 16th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

"Dallas" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:30:00 GMT, wrote:

It isn't a "test" as there is no failing

Not getting the sign off means you failed.

But, I like the idea that it's a test. My ex-fighter pilot brother in law
was under the impression that he was legal to fly if he got his medical.
added that he needed the flight review, then he was legal.

The last time he flew they hadn't adopted Class B airspace yet. I would
hope that the instructor would really test this guy before he turned him
loose to fly again.

--
Dallas

Well.. that means he has not flown in over 20 years?
His "FR" will be more than just the standard 1hr of ground and 1hr of air
time. It should be a very through review of the CFRs, the airspace changes,
the new requirements since 9/11, new certificate with proper address issued
from FAA (paper ones are not longer worthy after March 2010). Plus all the
flight maneuvers expected to fly at his certificate level, private or
commercial. A CFI-A can do all that, he does not need to see the Examiner
again.

Some people pick it back up quick, some don't, and based on age (mental
faculties), some maybe shouldn't. We run into that with older pilots wanting
to fly gliders because they no longer maintain a medical. I'd expect at
least 5-10 hours or more, depending on his capabilities and knowledge
absorption rate.

Same with Sport Pilot, and he does not need a medical, but he does need a
Flight Review.

BT