Old June 24th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Lowrance 2000c 1.7 update

I posted this as a reply to another thread but I thought it important
enough to make it a new thread to increase visibility. I've added more
comments and some additional details...plus some ramblings... So this is
not entirely a dupe.

--
Just a heads up. The 1.6 software update (5/26/06) did nothing but crash
my 2000c when trying to use the terrain database. It also caused

I strongly suggest everyone running 1.6 consider an upgrade to the
latest 1.7 release, if you have not already done so. The fact that the
release notes for 1.7 look like the notes from 1.6, to me, suggests it's
nothing but a bug-fix and stability release. Based on this assumption and
the fact it made my 2000c usable agaain, I strongly suggest you upgrade
from 1.6

General Lowrance firmware update page:
http://www.lowrance.com/software/Upgrades/upgrades.asp

The 2000c 1.7 download specific information and release notes page:
http://www.lowrance.com/software/Upg...70/Default.asp

Windows 2000c 1.7 download:
ftp://download.lowrance.com/AirMap/A...M2000C_170.exe

OS/X 2000c 1.7 download page:
ftp://download.lowrance.com/AirMap/A...0C_170.command

Linux 2000c 1.7 download page (Thanks Lowrance for making my life
easier!): ftp://download.lowrance.com/AirMap/A...M2000C_170.bin

Also note there is an update notification service available at the bottom
of the page. If you own a Lowrance product, I highly recommend you sign
up for it. It's a great service. The direct link follows. Lastly, I
have not noticed any new spam from subscribing...your mileage may vary.
http://www.lowrance.com/software/Upg...grades.asp#sub

Last note here. My 2000c has been rock-solid, stable and I have not
experienced a single reboot or crash until I upgraded from my previous
release to the 1.6 release. I can't recommend this GPS enough. In my
opinion, it's the best bang for the buck in aviation GPS.

Aside from the 1.6 disaster, I only have one minor nit with my 2000c,
which is it does not provide altitude information with its trail data. I
have requested this of Lowrance. They seem approachable on the subjet if
enough interests exists. If this information would be of value to anyone
else, please let them know. I enjoy overlaying the information with Google
Earth. If you don't know what it is...check it out. It's also now
available for Linux. You can download it from
http://earth.google.com/downloads.html.

Greg