Old January 19th 04, 07:58 PM
Newps

John R Weiss wrote:

I'd add a bit:

Squawk 7700 briefly (15 seconds?) to get the attention of ATC,

Not necessary. Any emergency squawk gets the attentioon of ATC equally.

and to give
some notice of your intention to exercise your PIC emergency authority to "bend"
the regulations.

That will be assumed when you squawk 7600.

Squawk 7600 to let them know the emergency is "just" lost comm, with no
other complications.

I'm not sure whether continuing on 7600 or returning to assigned squawk is
preferable to the ATC guys...

In reality most of the time we know before you do that you are NORDO.
You are supposed to squawk 7600 continuously when you realize it it,
however once we know you are NORDO there is no reason for you to
continue the 7600 squawk. It sets off a pretty annoying alarm in the
tower cab that we have to keep silenced with a rubber band that holds
the mute switch down.