Old October 2nd 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default glider battery duration problems

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:46:32 AM UTC-7, John Marshall wrote:
I need advice about the best choice of batteries for an asg 29e. lithium

ion would be outside manufacturer's remit and the insurer's plus too many

risks-the fuel tank is directly above the battery housings. I would like

something with at least 9 amp hours, whether gel cell or mh.

I flew a 12 a/h LiFe PO4 this year and can't say enough about it performance. I haven't seen the voltage drop much below 12.9 V, even on a 4 hour flight with everything on, Radio, transponder, Power flarm, Model-20 & Garmin GPS's, SN-10, B-500. AND it weighs half its lead acid 12 a/h brother which would give up in less than 3 hours.
JJ