Old November 16th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 9:24:20 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm thinking of eliminating the tail battery in my Stemme but need the
weight for proper balance.Â* I know I could replace it with pure lead,
but that's a lot of work so I've come up with a plan that would be more
satisfying and I would like comments and/or suggestions.

My thought is to discharge the battery fully.Â* It's a standard AGM that
everyone uses.Â* Then drill a couple of holes in the case and flush out
the electrolyte a couple of times with water.Â* Then fill the case up
with a highly saturated solution of NaHCO3, baking soda if I have the
formula correctly, and completely neutralize any remaining acid.Â* A
final flush with pure water, let it dry out, and finally, I could add
just about anything inert to bump the weight back up to what it was, and
plug the holes.Â* Voila!Â* A perfectly sized ballast weight.

Comments?Â* Have I missed anything?
--
Dan, 5J

thats less work than a lump of lead and a block of foam???