Old November 14th 03, 02:19 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

This one kinda stumps me everytime I am told this.
Call tower, request your IFR clearence, they tell you "taxi to runway
xxx - clearence available upon request"

what I always do is just read back the taxi instructions and wait for
them to call me back with the clearence. I guess I dont understand why
they say "available upon request" when I just requested it.

Am I handling it the right way?

Are you sure they're saying "clearence available upon request" and not
"clearance on request"?

Experience and context has told us that "clearance on request" means the tower
has requested it, but it hasn't come through yet. Having said that, in plain
English it means they have the clearance whenever he would like to request it.