Old January 22nd 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Wing walk ply question.

Mustardbuilder wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in news:cZIrh.1221$cZ1.187
@newsfe04.lga:

"Mustardbuilder" wrote

Well, what I was actually asking is if I could laminate the two

pieces
to take the curve in the wing. I realise this is basic stuff for a

lot
of you guyus, but I've never bent realatively thick ply before and I
don't want to make a mess out of the rest of the wing trying..

Reread what I said. That is how to laminate two, without a mold. One
should work, though, no problem

Dunno, that's what I was asking. I've laminated two pieces of ply
together before, just was wondering if it was practical or advisable to
do it curved.

Laminating a curved piece is, if anything, better than laminating
a flat piece, and also better than using a single piece.

If you laminate it on the curve before the glue sets the
laminated plywood will be pre-stressed to the desired curve.

You don't need a mold, you can attach one piece, let it set,
then glue the second piece over it.

Regarding the veneers, the laminated piece should be symetrical.
If the pieces have an A and a B face, they should be laminated
ABBA or BAAB, not ABAB or BABA. The grain on the new front
and back face should be parallel. I'd put the A faces out, ABBA.

But I think aircraft and marine plywood is supposed to have A-grade
veneers front and back, right?

--

FF