Old March 10th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Karl

Default jeppesen updates for the Garmin waas units

Yes, you need a different writer for the terrain card - and it's not
from Jeppesen - you get that from Garmin. I believe they said it was
$99, and then you download terrain updates from Garmin - one-time
updates for $35 or a subscription for $210 (i think).

As for a spare terrain data card, you also get that from Garmin. The
terrain card contains both the terrain and the obstacles. The terrain
is not available on a subscription basis, since it is rarely updated,
but the subscription updates your obstacle database every 56 days.

On 10 Mar 2007 06:38:52 -0800, "Mooney" wrote:

I'm brand new to this Garmin 430 updating process. Just got a 430WAAS
in my 201 and paid $149 for the data writer. They wanted another $150
or so for a second data card -- OUCH!! Haven't downloaded update yet
but will soon. Did you say I need a different writer for the terrain
card!?? And it is a different card type so if I need a backup for that
I will need to pay an extra $150 or so? And it costs $410/year for
terrain updates!?? I think I'll take up bowling! Heck, terrain doesn't
change much ... Ok towers and such but still, this is silly. What is
the FAA requirement for updating terrain data cards??

Chuck

Karl - PP/ASEL/IA