Old August 14th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Default New proposed MOA new Ely NV

Why do we refer to airspace in the units of square
measure?

I'm not that great of a pilot and I need some vertical
room to move around in. I can't hold an altitude worth
a flip when I'm in a glider. And the few times that
I'm behind the yoke of a Cessna, I can't do much better.

I tend to think of airspace using units of volume.

So, I see the Air Force wanting 'x' cubic miles of
airspace rather than square miles.

So, when the Federales over in these parts start talking
about expanding the Class C airspace around RDU into
a Class B airspace, I respond to them and refer to
the amount of air VOLUME they are taking away from
us.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 15:42 14 August 2006, Ron Gleason wrote:
I am new to the sailplane community in the Salt Lake
City area. I hope
fly more sites around NV and the west.

Hill Air Force in South Ogden UT has applied for a
new MOA, White Elk
MOA, that would run north of Ely NV to south of Wells
NV covering the
area over highway 93 in White Pine County. This new
MOA is west of the
existing Wendover MOA and would add 2400 square miles.

I am not familar with the Ely NV soaring site but I
have to believe
this is MOA will be problamatic. I hope the soaring
community at the
Ely site is working to ensure that the soaring folks
are represented
during the public comment period.

A quote from the 8/13 article in the Standard Examiner:

The Air Force is still planing for the expansion but
has already
changed the proposed altitude range from 7,500-12,500
feet to
14,000-18,000 feet.

the compromise, Air Force officals say, would still
allow pilots to
train while limiting the impact on Ely, NV.

The process for establishing the MOA will take 6 to
24 months to
complete.