Old July 21st 04, 05:02 PM
Maule Driver

This is all marketing tactic crap. Great stuff, right up there with
politics. Marketing and politics - 2 places where subjective eloquence is
prized and valued. No one expects objectivity or even facts (see
Kerry/Bush). Hell, even Vans quotes his performance numbers in mph -
they're apparently accurate but still have to be spun.

I'd buy a Cirrus over a 182 in a second (if it they both fit my mission).
Why? Speed baby. 30% or better is the whole ball game. That's why we put
up with retracts. And sex appeal! The 182 looks like 1954, the Cirrus
looks and flies like Century 21.

Am I being oversold? I have a couple of thousand hours of private flight,
glider, IFR, Comm, Multi. I fly a high wing, a Maule for crissakes. I
can't imagine pulling the chute and I don't care whether it's there or not.
I *know* the 182 is solid as rock and that the SR stuff is new and will have
bugs. Sex and speed any day.

Flat panel displays? That game is over... we'll all going there.
Integrated avionics is as certain as evolution. Steam guages will go the
way of, well, steam ("what's steam daddy?"). Remember, I choose to fly a
tailwheel, and a high wing, and on grass.

SEL 4 place aircraft are expensive toys and business tools. They are
discretionary expenses. Why buy the latest turbocharged rendition of a '54
truck if you have a choice?

Well I would. I live on grass and if I had $300k to spend on personal
travel, a new 182 might be about right. But I still couldn't bring myself
to buy the original '54 truck with the $60k I did have. The Maule is
sexier! (man, that's tough to say... sort of like arguing over who's grandma
is sexier) In OTW, I don't have a choice, but if I did....

"C J Campbell"
I did not write the biased pile of dung. However, I think it is no more
biased than Cirrus' advertising. I believe it brings up a serious number

of
legitimate issues.

I am also not yet convinced that the G-1000 (or any other flat panel
display) is really worth the premium. It is pretty and I could get used to
it, maybe even proficient with it, but how much additional utility do I

get
out of it?