Old September 2nd 05, 04:44 PM
enewbold enewbold is offline
Junior Member

Location: Columbus, Oh, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Fetters
Dear Ron,
The fact of the matter is that no Mini-500 has crashed due to improper design or bad flight characteristics. The only accidents have strictly been from pilot error, improper assembly or owner modifications. As all helicopters ever designed and flying, the Mini-500 has had a few problems from design oversights on my part, but none has caused an accident, and all were corrected and the upgrades made available to the owners for free or at our cost.

In fact, the Mini-500 auturotated as well or better than most helicopters, as demonstrated at air shows all over the world, and by customers that built and operated Mini-500's according to factory specifications.

I have never flown a Mini 500.

Thank you for qualifying your statements. There is nothing wrong with
commenting on a helicopter you have no experience with, but still, the
statements need to be corrected. I hope I have helped your better
understanding on the topic.

Most sincerely,
Dennis Fetters
Thanks for a very nice posting, Dennis. Although I have never had the opportunity to fly a Mini-500, I wouldn't hesitate to do so, given the opportunity. I think there are many people out there who love to pick on the Mini-500 simply based on heresay. The facts you provided should help clarify things a bit.

I often just don't understand why people are so hard on you and the Mini-500. They don't seem to pick on B.J. Schramm, even though he unfortunately died in his own machine.

Accidents happen, and they happen to ALL brands of helicopters. Most of them are not related to the airframe or engine, but to the pilot's skills (or lack thereof). I have a few hundred hours in Robinson R-22s and I still hate doing autos in them because everything happens so fast, whereas autos in the Hughes (Schweizer) machines are so slow and easy.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "Hi." Nice hearing from you.

Ed Newbold, CFII ASEL
Columbus, OH
http://enewbold.com/