Old September 22nd 03, 04:29 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Dan
Shackelford wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:16:00 -0500, wrote:

I was watching the Discovery Channel program comparing the F-86 and Mig-15
and heard that the F-86 can break the sound barrier. I know that this has
been claimed many time before but is that the official position of the US
Air Force? Is Yeager still officially the first man to break the sound
barrier?

No, George Welch was the first to exceed Mach 1 in a dive with the
XP-86. See: http://home.att.net/~historyzone/Welch2.html

I think you misunderstood the question. The question isn't whether
it was Welch or Yeager, but who the USAF officially recognizes. At
this point in time, it is still Yeager.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications