Old November 5th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

Default Discussing fighter plane concepts and performance

On Nov 5, 11:53*am, jan olieslagers
wrote:
Bob Nixon schreef:

GET OVER DOG FIGHTING???? Isn't that the very reason they put a gun on
the F4-E and center racked add-on M61 EQ ...

Nixon,
Allow me to suggest you leave this place and carry your (perfectly
acceptable) discussion to a more appropriate newgroup.
Actually this is a lot less bad than some other postings, but you at
least seem to be open-minded and fair enough to see reason.
TIA,

Actually Jan, I already have joined the military group but their spin
is a little different on this speed vs stealth thing. Saying you can
have speed or stealth but not both when talking about greater than
mach mach 2.0 with the airplane heat, large size and fuel load
required; as example the SU-27 Flanker that does such a spectacular
job at airshows can be seen on IR 100 miles away if they're moving
above mach 2.0. And Mach 2.0 seem to be the point where airframe
heating at Altitude is critical. Down low everything is harder to see
from afar but even at mach 1.0 they get pretty hot.

I'm just worried that this stealth radar bubble will soon burst and
we'll have spent a whole lot of money on an easily deflatable
technology. BTW, I may not be a pilot but my best friend flies
737-200&700's as a captain for SW Airlines and has for many years.
Before that he was an instructor pilot USAF on the T-38 supersonic
trainer mostly for foreign purchasers. He also flew C-141 AC before
they were replaced by the new C-17. We both also fly radio control
models but he has no desire to fly or buy a private plane and we
compliment each others specialties. For instance, I ask him about
flying ( but he's no historian ) and he asks me how the GPS, INS,
Radar and Vortac/ILS/TACAN VHF radio, IFF transponders and how all
the gear translates to info on the ADI. Recently he insisted on
replacing the bad Magnetron in his home microwave oven and asked me
how it worked. I explained what I recall from my radar background and
also suggested the Wikipedia link.

One more thing then I'm out of here for good. My friend and I both
ride/race sport motorcycles (I have for nearly 50 years now and him
about 40 years) and have seen top speeds at the end of our local
racetrack straightaway in excess of 180MPH or faster than many of your
light hobby aviation AC. My point being please don't act like a bunch
of NASA astronauts or F-22 drivers just because you fly a Cessna 172
on weekends. Military AC and private aviation are far and away two
different things. See ta later.

Bob Nixon..