Old May 5th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IOS App for Skylines?

Ok, so how about listing a few bullet points of the things that you can do on your iOS device (running what SW package?) that can't be done on Android running XCsoar? This isn't an attempt to be argumentative - I'd really just like to understand why one is or isn't better than (or equivalent to) the other.

Robert

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 1:11:12 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:20:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
As a retired engineer I recall the old wisdom that "better is the
enemy of good enough".

My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the
same information that your systems do though it does not bring me a
cappuccino and massage my shoulders while I fly...* Sure the new
products are great, calling what works comical is simply snobbish.

On 5/4/2015 8:36 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:

Same here. iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 4 are far, far (the two smartphones that I use), better than the now ancient Oudie in literally every conceivable form of measure other than raw brightness. Thee difference in total brightness is very small now with the latest smartphones. SeeYou is so outdated that its almost comical. It truly pains me to use an Oudie when the far better devices are in the pocket of my glider (still illegal to use them in the USA although that might be evolving soon...).

--

Dan Marotta

"My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the same information that your systems do" Well, - in a word - No. There is no doubt that it costs a lot to approach perfect, but I could as easily say that I can get the same information from a pellet variometer and a sectional chart as you get on your Dell Streak. Yet the discerning person notices a difference.