Old March 5th 05, 08:03 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:51:21 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in ::

Colin W Kingsbury wrote:

Sure, it might
fly, but who wants a machine with the fuel burn of an old Lear (at low
altitude), the maintenance costs of a big Sikorsky, and the payload of a
172?

Speaking of fuel burn, the tanks shown on that illustration probably wouldn't
last longer than an hour.

That may be long enough to accomplish its mission. I'll bet it'll be
faster than a helo:

Bell Jet Ranger
---------------
Model: 206B
Category: Restricted
Engine: Allison C20B
Horsepower: 420
Airspeed: 110 knots
Range: 3 hours
Ceiling: 20,000' msl
Max Gross Weight: 3,200 lbs
Useable Payload: 1,400 lbs

So it's range may be adequate despite limited fuel.

I'm encouraged to see some evidence of further advancement of the
concept even if it's only on the drawing board now.