Old November 23rd 20, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Inadvertant IMC - DG1000, Manawatu, New Zealand

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 1:03:44 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/22/20 6:50 PM, Matthew Scutter wrote:
so even an untrained pilot should be able to keep the horizon level and the airspeed roughly constant.

If that were the case, there would be a lot fewer fatal VFR into IMC
accidents. Pretty much all power planes have an attitude indicators and
yet they still fall out of the sky when untrained pilots venture into or
get caught in clouds.

--
Dan
5J

While believing the instruments and controlling appropriately is vital; the difficulty I think,
is in suppressing misleading sensations. I convinced myself to do this on my first
cloud excursion ( in a stable glider with T and S ) and climbed 6000ft. Much later with
a WWII AH, I found it , in RAF parlance, a piece of cake. Add a GPS display and it is easier still.
An engineering training helps understanding what the instrument displays is a help.
I do not think I would have been brave enough to take an ASW 12 ( no brakes) into Cbs
as a team mate did in Yugoslavia, "72.

John Firth ( an old no longer bold pilot.)